Can Hpv Be Dormant In A Woman For 25 Years? My Pap Just Came Back Positive. Should I Believe My Husband?

by Rachel on February 15, 2010

My husband swears he has always been faithful, but is it ridiculous to think that HPV has been dormant in my body for 25 years?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Cute C February 16, 2010 at 2:22 am

Yes, but he probably cheated.

???????? February 16, 2010 at 8:19 am

Yes, it can lay dormant.
No it’s not ridiculous and you cannot jump to conclusions no matter how easy it is to do. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt and I can understand how hard that must be as your suspicions have been raised. I know I would feel the same. BUT……..
You see, when you have a pap smear, they may take an area of skin from the cervix that is not infected, therefore your results come back negative.
Also, you may have sex 1000 times and not get it, but on the 1001st time there were perfect conditions that assisted in it being able to spread to you.
There are too many variable possibilities and we can’t sentence and hang him on this alone.

Anonymous February 16, 2010 at 8:32 am

Yes, HPV can lie in a sleeping state for years…and yes even decades.
HPV is very contagious and many women acquire there first HPV infection with their first sex partner. Most HPV infection do not cause abnormal cell changes not showing as a positive Pap or as visible warts. But an HPV infection acquired early on could become active years later.
Is this your first abnormal Pap test? Sometimes a woman will have remembered a past abnormal Pap…but the Pap was not followed with HPV testing. Most abnormal cell changes are due to HPV. HPV screening became part of standard medical procedure for the gal 30+ only after abnormal cell changes were found. Abnormal cell changes before 2003 were probably never screened for high risk HPV types.
Even with no abnormal Paps ever you could have acquired the virus years ago and just now showing abnormal cell changes.
In March of 2009 an HPV type was able to be cultivated in a lab. It took 20 years for this to be achieved. They are 40 genital HPV types…and thus far only one HPV types has been able to be grown in a lab. With this discovery we will learn more about the life cycle of HPV.
In 2004 our scientist learned that HPV could behave as a mini chromosome. In the following years we have confirmed that high risk HPV have the capability of integrating into a host cell DNA leading to the cell division that for some can be immortal. We are still learning about HPV…with each new year more information comes forth.
Your husband could be telling you the truth…that he has been faithful. I would not let an abnormal Pap come between you and your husband.
I am sure your doctor will confirm that HPV can lie in a dormant state for years.
HPV is a common STI in women in there 20′s about 50% carry and HPV type many carry more than one. The CDC tells us that 50% of the population carry a genital HPV type. In our 40 and 50 the virus can reactivates …this can be due to some type of health issue immune disorder autoimmune disorder, organ transplant, meds we are taking, stress and just simple aging. In the age group of women in their 40 to 25% aree estinated carring the virus is our 50 it is extimated that 19% carry an HPV infection. Acquiring a new HPV type could cause new cervical cells to develop. It usually take a year or more for cell changes to develop but it can take decades.
In you want to understand cervical cell changes this link may help
Did your doctor want to do a colposcope? Were the cell changes low grade or high grade? What you are going through is so emotional. I wish I could help more than to post some links showing that HPV can stay in a sleeping state for years… I wish you well.
Personal Experience:
I was first diagnosed with HPV in 1999. VaIN 2/3 VIN 3 (CIS) I have seen how information has changed but one thing that has been clear is that HPV does have the potential to live in our body for decades…most of the time not causing our body harm….but for some the virus stays around for decades in some women presisting and progressing. Knowledge is Power!!
In an article published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in March, the research team reports that a viral replication protein known as E2 binds the circular viral DNA to cell structures called spindle fibers that are present in a cell when it divides, a process known as mitosis. In mitosis, a single cell divides in two, creating two genetically identical daughter cells. By latching onto the spindle fibers of the cell as it divides, HPV DNA also divides and replicates itself in each of the new daughter cells where it can continue to replicate and persist indefinitely.
“In effect, HPV is able to mimic our own chromosomes, behaving as a sort of ‘mini-chromosome’, independently replicating and keeping pace as the cellular chromosomes replicate and the cell divides,” says Tom Broker, PhD, professor of biochemistry and molecular genetics and co-author of the paper. “This allows the virus to remain in our bodies indefinitely, with the potential of causing serious disease years, even decades, after first exposure.”
Broker says that virtually all humans carry at least one type of HPV for much of their lives, usually transmitted to the external skin very early in life or to the internal mucosal lining later during sexual contact. For most people, the virus persists at low levels without causing obvious disease, and the body’s immune system keeps it in check.
However, in some people, the virus can become activated and cause lesions, particularly if the infected tissue is repeatedly injured, or following periods of emotional or physical stress, during pregnancy, as a result of immunosuppressive therapy for immune disorders or organ transplantation, as a outcome of progressing HIV/AIDS, and even as a consequence of aging.
The mechanisms by which the

Linda November 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I was just told I have HPV. I didn’t have a clue what it was. Years ago I had an abnormal cervix. With being cordrized in the offic and later in a hospital. Back then no one heard of HPV..But I am talking 30 year ago. My imune is way down with having MS. Can it be domant this many years? I am so upset. And I feel asshamed.

nancy June 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm

i want to know if hpv not in cintagious form can things stay the same with my husband?

nancy June 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm

from what i am reading i believe it will not change anything..